A general question asked by the employees is that how can they check the collected EPF balance in their EPF account. Usually, the EPF is transferred to the EPF account every month by the employer along with the employee’s contribution.
Thus, the passbook of the EPF account shows the total amount of EPF which it has along with the information of the contributions which are made every month by the employee and the employer. There are four instant ways to check the EPF balance in your account, online which are provided by EPFO.
Let us go through all of them individually.
CHECK EPF BALANCE INSTANTLY BY SENDING A SMS
It is the easiest way to check your EPF balance in your EPF account. An SMS should get sent from your registered mobile number to 7738299899, and you can instantly get the EPF balance in your EPF account.
The message sent on the abovementioned number should be “EPFOHO UAN ENG.” In this message, the last three letters stand for the language in which you would prefer getting the SMS. Say an instance, if you wish to get the SMS in Hindi, then the message that you will have to send will be “EPFOHO UAN HIN.”
This service is available in many languages like English, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Bengali.
In case, if you want to enjoy this facility, your Universal Account Number needs to be linked with your bank account, Aadhar, and PAN. If these are not connected then, you should ask your employer to get it linked as soon as possible.
CHECK EPF BALANCE INSTANTLY BY GIVING A MISSED CALL
It is the second most accessible way to check your EPF balance in your EPF account.
Those employees can give a missed call on 011-22901406 from their registered mobile number and get the details of their EPF balance.
The employee’s UAN should get linked with his bank account, Aadhar and PAN, only then he can view the details of the last contribution made by him and his employer in his EPF account and the EPF balance.
The employee can use this facility only if he activates his mobile number with the UAN on the Unified Portal. If it is not updated or you want to change mobile number in EPF account, then it can also be changed online from UAN portal.
The phone gets discontinued after the two rings when the employee calls from his registered number on 011-22901406. The members can use this service for free. Also, it is possible to avail these services from a non-smart phone.
CHECK EPF BALANCE INSTANTLY BY USING EPFO PORTAL
It is possible for an employee to check his EPF balance using the EPFO portal.
The following steps are to be followed by an employee, in case if he wants to check his EPF balance using the EPFO Portal:
- Go on the EPF India website.
- Select “For Employees” under “Our Services.”
- After that, select “Member Passbook” under “Services,” which will direct you to a new page.
- You have to put in your UAN number and the password, and after that, you can check your passbook online.
While using this option, the employees should remember the following points:
- This service is available to all the members who are registered on the Unified Member Portal and wish to see their Member Passbook.
- The member can get the passbook after 6 Hours of getting himself registered on Unified Member Portal.
- Any changes in the credentials made by the member on Unified Member Portal will be applicable only after 6 Hours.
- The passbook usually gets reflected with the reconciled entries in the EPFO field offices.
- Exempted Establishments Members or Settled Members or Inoperative Members are not allowed to have the passbook facility.
CHECK EPF BALANCE INSTANTLY BY USING EPFO APPLICATION ON UMANG PLATFORM
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and National e-Governance Division introduced the UMANG App. For the new-age governance, it is a Unified Mobile Application. This platform is primarily for the Indian citizens to provide them the access to e-Gov services from the Central, State, Local Bodies, and Agencies of government on app, web, SMS, and IVR channels across the country.
It is advisable that the employee links his Aadhar. Although it is is not mandatory to link Aadhar with the Umang App. However, it is advantageous to get your Aadhar connected with the Umang App.
As of now, it is available in 13 languages like English, Hindi, Assamese, Gujarati, Bengali, Kannada, Odia,Punjabi, Malyalam, Marathi, Tamil, Telegu and Urdu.
You can call UMANG Customer Care – 1800-11-5246 (8 am to 8 pm on all days of the week) or email to [email protected], in case if you have any issues while using the Umang App.
To check the EPF balance using Umang App, the employee needs to keep in mind the following points:
- The Aadhar should get linked with Umang App.
- The UAN should be active.
- The Aadhar should get connected to UAN.
- The UAN should comply with all the KYC details.
The following process is to be followed to check your EPF balance by using the Umang App:
- After getting yourself registered on the Umang App, click on the option EPF.
- After clicking on the EPFO link, three different categories will be visible to you. Click on “Employee Centric Services.”
- Under this, click on “View Passbook,” and after that, you can see the passbook which cannot be downloaded as of now, as that option is not available currently.
Now that you know, it is easier to check your EPF balance in your EPF account online, using the ways mentioned above.
Thus, considering that the accumulated EPF balance is an asset for all the employees and a lifetime of saving for them; it is necessary that they are aware of how they can check the EPF balance in their EPF accounts.